Saturday, November 8, 2008

Tortilla Soup

On our 8th anniversary, F and I spent the day at the Spa Claremont in Oakland, California. We wrapped up the day with dinner at the Paragon. I ordered the tortilla soup, pleased to find that it was vegan! It was one of the most delicious soups I've ever had, with a tomato based stock. I've been looking for a similar recipe ever since. If you have any to share, please do! Here's one that I am going to start with that I found here:

Vegan Tortilla Soup (Gluten Free)

4-5 corn tortillas (sugar free)
1 medium yellow or white onion
4 cloves garlic
4-5 tbsp olive oil
3-4 Serrano chilies
1-2 tomatoes
1/3 bunch cilantro
3 can pinto beans
1 small can tomato sauce
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups frozen corn
salt and pepper to taste

Cut tortillas into thin strips and fry up in olive oil. Once cooked set aside for later. Sauté garlic, onion and chili peppers in olive oil. Then add cilantro, tomato, and dash of salt and sauté. Then add vegetable broth, tomato sauce, beans, and corn. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 20-25 minutes. Top with yogurt or vegan sour cream and tortilla strips.

I'll try it if you will! Let me know how it goes.

I'm heading to the market today and will make this for dinner and report back. Love that the recipe is gluten free already, but I will leave off the yogurt and vegan sour cream. Vegan sour cream is typically made from processed soy products which are not at all healthy. Just because it's vegan doesn't mean it's healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment